Memphis is full of amazing moms: working moms, stay-at-home moms, single moms, moms of multiples, etc. We want to highlight some of those moms! Every month we will feature one mom as MMB’s mom of the month.
Meet Seantai Burwell!! She is a 27-year-old first-time mom, and our April Mom of the Month! She moved to Memphis from Chicago a year ago, but she had lived in Memphis before for a couple of years. She is a Registered Nurse with a background in Trauma ICU and a Clinical Nurse Educator. She left her challenging role as a Clinical Nurse Educator to work from home so that she wouldn’t be away from her newborn as a first-time mom. Her daughter’s name is Milani, and she is 16 months old. She does injury triage from home, which has provided her the opportunity to work and be with her daughter throughout the day. AND not feel terrible for being at work all day!! In her previous job, she would be gone anywhere from 8-12 hours a day, 5 days a week. However, she does miss her old job and plans to return once Milani is school age!
We asked Seantai:
1. What is the best thing about being a single mom?
The best thing about being a single mom would be realizing how strong you are! It’s a scary feeling to be accountable for caring and molding a life, and on your own it is terrifying! But that feeling of, “I can do this!” just makes it all worth it. It is also nice not having to share her, and I love the cuddles! She is such a cuddly baby, and I enjoy it probably more than she does!
2. What is the hardest thing about being a single mom?
Doing it all on my own can be hard because I do work full time AND have her home with me full time. Sometimes it seems like I am going to go crazy because I rarely get a break from it all!
3. Tell us three fun facts about yourself!
1. I have 2 pit bulls and a pitbull grandbaby that are still back home in Chicago. Even though they get a bad rep, they are so kind, loving, cuddly, and just overall big babies!!! They sit in your lap like they only weigh 5lbs!
2. It is my dream to join a roller derby team. After watching “Whip It!” in high school, it’s been something I just have to do before I’m too old to do it.
3. I LOVE horror movies, and I can watch them at any time! Even in the dark, home alone, at 3am.
4. What do you love most about Memphis?
I love all of the activities for toddlers that are available. There is the zoo, music classes, Spanish classes, the children’s museum, gymnastics classes, and so much more that I keep my daughter involved with. It’s also a plus that I don’t have to travel very far to get her to those places and don’t have to battle traffic like I did in Chicago!