In preparation for back-to-school, this weekend is Tennessee’s Sales Tax Holiday! Before heading out to shop, take a look at the rules and limitations on the TN.gov website. Nothing bites more than thinking you’re getting a heck of a deal, and then getting to the cash register and realizing you were wrong.
Here is a quick rundown of the basic rules:
- Any clothing under $100 is exempt from sales tax this weekend. This includes uniforms (both athletic and non-athletic), shoes, and even sleepwear.
- School supplies under $100 are also exempt from sales tax. This includes art supplies, binders, paper… you name it!
- All computers under $1,500 are exempt from sales tax this weekend. This includes laptops, tablets, and notebooks.
- Cell phones, cosmetics, and software are all still taxable.
- Although athletic uniforms are tax-exempt this weekend, athletic gloves are still taxable.
We know some of this is confusing. But hopefully these two lists can make it a little easier:
- Click here for a list of all items that are tax exempt this weekend.
- Click here for a list of all items that are still taxable this weekend.
In addition to having no sales tax on certain items, many stores (especially locally-owned ones!) are running sales. So you’re really getting a bargain this weekend, Mamas!